GETTING KETO IN THE KITCHEN:
Celebrate International Picnic Day The Keto Way!
It’s often claimed that "life is no picnic" but guess what? Today it is! It's International Picnic Day! The word “picnic” comes from the French language, and it’s believed this type of informal outdoor meal became a popular pastime in France after the Revolution.
We've gathered some delicious recipes and tips for packing the perfect picnic, keto style!
Get ready to enjoy the great outdoors and some of your favorite (portable) keto dishes.
Picnic Style Caprese Salad: by Simply Gloria
• Fresh Mozzarella pearls
• Fresh basil leaves
• Salt and pepper
• Olive oil
• Grape tomatoes
• Small mason jar
1. Cut all of your grape tomatoes in half and put them in a large mixing bowl.
2. Drain the mozzarella and place on some paper towels to remove any excess moisture, then add to the mixing bowl.
3. Drizzle olive oil.
4. Toss in your fresh basil, salt, and pepper and gently mix until your olive oil, salt, and pepper are evenly distributed.
5. Separate into personal mason jars and store to serve at your picnic!
Simply Gloria Link
Keto Meat Subs: by Healthful Pursuit
For The Subs
• 9 oz (250 g) Italian style ham
• 4½ oz. (125 g) prosciutto
• 5½ oz (150 g) salami soppressata
• 5½ oz (150 g) genoa salami
• 2 avocados (12 oz/340 g), peeled, pit removed, and sliced
• 4 green onions, sliced in half
• 2 leaves of iceberg lettuce or kale
• 8 toothpicks (optional)
For The Sub Sauce
• ½ cup Avocado Oil, MCT Oil, Liquid Coconut Oil or Canola Oil
• 4 teaspoons juice from banana peppers
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon grey sea salt
• pinch ground black pepper
1. Place a slice of ham on a clean plate or cutting board. Layer a piece of prosciutto, followed by three or four pieces of salami, layering like a pyramid or making a square shape with the layers.
2. Add a couple of slices of avocado, followed by a piece of green onion and a piece of iceberg to the far side of the meat stack.
3. Roll the ingredients up like a California roll. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining meat and filling.
4. Afterward, combine all sub sauce ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and serve alongside the low-carb sandwich.
Healthful Pursuit Link
Chicken Salad Picnic Eggs: by Wicked stuffed
• 6 large eggs
• 1 cup shredded + finely chopped chicken
• 2 tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 tsp dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp chopped onion
• a pinch of celery salt
• 1/2 tsp dried dill
• 1/2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
• 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
1. Mix all ingredients (except for the eggs!) together until well mixed.
2. Refrigerate your chicken salad.
3. Boil, steam, or bake your eggs. Shell, cool, and cut in half.
4. Toss, save (or eat!) your yolks.
5. Fill your egg halves with chicken salad, just like you would a deviled egg.
6. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning
Wicked Stuffed Link
Decided to take a stab at it? Tag us on social so we can see your creations! @ketobars
Now that you have all of your picnic food prepped and packed, you’re ready to go and enjoy your day! But, if you’re craving some dessert, we’ve got you covered. Keto Bars are great for taking on the go! 👇